Saturday 28 December 2013

Happy Birthday to H-P



Not only was it Christmas this week, but a few days beforehand I celebrated my own birthday. Now into my mid-50’s, I guess it must be almost impossible for others to buy for me. Not because I have everything I need, but age gives you simpler tastes and requirements maybe and whenever anyone asks me what I would like, I can never think of anything I actually want.



However I did receive a present for both celebrations from my “better half” of a new laptop computer. My old ASUS eee netbook had seen better years and I was fortunate to receive a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Touchscreen example, running Windows 8.1 and as I write, I am still learning the ins and outs of it.



On 1st January, it will be the 75th anniversary of the founding of Hewlett-Packard. William"Bill" Redington Hewlett (May 20, 1913 – January 12, 2001 and David Packard (September 7, 1912 – March 26, 1996) both graduated from Stanford University in 1935.



Packards Garage
In 1939, Packard and Hewlett established Hewlett-Packard (HP) in Packard's garage in Palo Alto, California with an initial capital investment of $538. The decision of whose name came first came about from the toss of a coin, from which presumably, Mr Hewlett was the victor.



Hewlett-Packard (or HP as they are generally referred to these days), is the world’s leading PC manufacturer although they did fend off a challenge to their supremacy from Chinese competitor Lenovo (click HERE for details).



So far I am very pleased with my HP Pavilion and am even getting to grips with the new Windows operating system and the touchscreen.

HP HQ in Palo Alto

So on New Years Day, as well as singing "Auld Lang Syne," please join me in wishing wish a very Happy 75th Birthday to HP. 

Messrs Packard and Hewlett’s fine company have brought new life and fun to an aging fool’s computing activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment