Friday 11 February 2011

From Huntingdon, Back to Reality.

Good morning

I had a lovely day at Huntingdon races yesterday - shame about the constant rain. Typical that the sun is shining this morning, as it was earlier in the week, but the day I go racing the heaven's open.

I must praise Huntingdon Racecourse and especially their staff. From the man on the gate when I collected my ticket, to the guys behind the counter serving food and drinks in the Lenton's bar and the young lady on the hog roast stand, everyone was polite, friendly and made it a pleasure to be there. WELL DONE HUNTINGDON - You have definitely got something right.

As for my suggestions, MTPOCKETS was well behind, it seemed, with half a circuit to go, but managed to run on whilst others struggled to only get headed for 3rd in a photo. PANTXOA ran well, but came across one far too good in A Media Luz who really looked the business to me.

Being somewhat of a form junkie, I really went against the grain in the 2nd race at 2.10 Looking at the horses in the paddock, I was really taken in by Alan King's 6 year old gelding Midnight Appeal. He had a series of duck eggs in his form when hurdling, but something just suggested to me that fences may be his making. With Robert "Choc" Thornton on board, he was always going well and took over at the last, winning with a bit in hand. Went off at 6's, but I managed to get a couple of points better than that.

OK, before I go on to today, if you kept an eye on my Tweets yesterday evening, you would have got a 7/2 winner in Spinning Bailiwick and a couple of placed animals at 11/2 and 9/2 at Kempton (yes, Kempton again - something strange going on here). 


Right then, today. Flat at Southwell and twilight at Wolves. Jumping at Kempton and Musselburgh. The best race of the day is the class 2 chase at Kempton 3.45, but with only 4 participants I think we will steer well clear of it. Nothing inspires me (as yet) north of the border and I haven't even looked at Wolverhampton, so it's off to the fabulous Fibresand at Southwell and the 1st 2 races on the card at that.

The opener at 1.15 brings a few capable of getting there, but I have a liking for NEVADA DESERT who come here on an all time low rating of 54. He's never won on the Fibresand, but has been runner up on a couple of occasions. If the old boy can deal with an 80 day lay off, he can get into the frame in this.

Half an hour later, we have an 8 runner, 3 year old, 6 furlong handicap. I like both Rylee Mooch (who I seem to remember writing about a week or so ago) and WINNING DRAW. My choice for Paul Midgley's filly is based on a pleasing run here a week back, when she was less than a length away from Fifth In Line. I fancy her to come on from that.

NEVADA DESERT Southwell 1.15 (e/w)
WINNING DRAW Southwell 1.45

That's all folks, remember to join me later on Twitter.

The Chairman

No comments:

Post a Comment